Ellie is Here!

First family photo!
It has been a crazy last few days! I spent a several days last week getting my classroom together in anticipation of going to the hospital Friday. On Thursday, Dr. Myers checked me and said I was 1 cm dilated and that if I was ready, he wanted to admit me that night to be induced in the morning ... Wow. I looked at Rollin and asked if he wanted to do it, and of course, being the great husband he is, he said, "I do as long as you do!"

So, we went out to lunch somewhere really romantic since it was our last meal without a child. Firehouse Subs. :) So it isn't THAT romantic, but it was delicious! We talked about how things were about to change forever and how unbelievably excited we were. And our steak subs were fantastic.

When we got home, we decided a nap was in order (great decision on our part) and then started checking our bags. Clothes, toiletries, pillows, baby book, things for Ellie, phone charger, popsicles, cameras ... Ya know, essentials! We're pretty good at packing quickly and efficiently if you ever need help. We dropped off Smalls at Beth's apartment (thank you again!!) and then checked into the hospital at 10:15 pm. That would be our "home" for the next 4 days.
Last photo before heading to the hospital
The staff at Parkwest were awesome. We HIGHLY recommend that hospital if you're looking. I labored for 13 hours before Miss Ellie arrived and it was quite eventful! Dr. Myers broke my water around 7:30 and then they started Pitocin to induce labor. When that started to kick in, the epidural was given ... that is some good stuff. ;) The problem we kept running into was that Ellie's big noggin wouldn't allow her to fully engage (drop low enough). So, they'd up the Pitocin and my epidural would wear off, leading to some horribly painful contractions. Around hour 12, we decided a C-section would be needed.

I was crazy nervous, but Dr. Cottam (Dr. Myers was no longer on call) assured me it would be quick and was a good decision. Rollin never left my side. I know I couldn't have done it without him.

They wheeled me to the OR and we had Merry Elizabeth Prince about 20 minutes later! She was 7 lbs 13 oz and 20 inches long. (Not quite as big as expected!) It turned out to be such a blessing that we had a C-section, because our little Indiana Jones had the umbilical cord wrapped around her head and arm. She was gonna do everything in her power NOT to come out! So glad I couldn't feel a thing from my armpits down ... Dr. Prince (funny, huh?) was my anesthesiologist and I told Rollin he had some competition for my Prince Charming! Rollin was so sweet in his first few moments as a daddy, I'm so glad I got to see it. He has been wonderful with her ever since, reassuring me that he is going to be such a good father. Ellie is so lucky!
Meeting Daddy
The rest of our stay was spent practicing parenthood (with a lot of help from great nurses and doctors) and celebrating with friends and family! I enjoyed that part even more when my morphine finally wore off ... That was rough! :)

We brought Ellie home Monday evening and have had so much fun/so little sleep since. I'll update weekly about some of the stuff we've got going on at home, hopefully!  God is so good!

Comments

Popular Posts